Review: "I am Malala"













"I am Malala"
by Malala Yousafzai in collaboration with Christina Lamb. 



Wow. I must admit that before reading this book I wasn't a 100% aware of the situation Pakistan is living and what did Malala do in general; I must say my ignorance was huge about this "politics" theme and how the country was living such an unjust situation, the image I had of Pakistan was mainly created by the lack of research on my part and was full of stereotypes that media shares and I'm not really proud of that. That being said, here are my thoughts on the book:

For starters, Malala gives more background of the situation her country is living and not just focusses on her assault. She explains everything in such an easy and basic way for you to understand but her writting does not take away the importance of everything she is saying, she just gives it more power. I love how you get to know more about the current situation with the talibans and the police and how we get a little peek of muslims beliefs.

My copy of this book is full of post-it and they are not just some quotes I like about the book but they are placed where I could learn more from this culture and how muslim people think/practice their beliefs. I find this book to be a really eye-opening read and it puts in perspective what every country is going through; in my country (México) we are very aware of the sexism and inequality there is but reading this book I could see some similarities with the current situation in Pakistan, for example, there is a part in the book where Malala explains how their politicians just care about themselves without thinking about their people and I think that resonated with me because that's exactly what is happening here; our people are starving, living in such low quality places (or not homeless), they are dying and our "leaders" are just making themselves richer. This part of the book I really enjoyed because I know people here in my city don't think our country has any similarities with Pakistan but that is just because we aren't aware of the whole picture.

So, to sum all up, I really recommend this book if you want a general view of how people are living there and what they are thinking about their country, also I encourage anyone to start doing more research and not merely use this book for reference but expand themselves on this topics. I think what Malala did, and is doing for the girls in Pakistan is such an empowering thing to read that I really do recomended very much.

Obviously 5 out of 5 stars.




Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Turtles All the Way Down Review

A YEAR-A-THON TBR

March(ito) wrap up!*